Information We Collect
When you interact with us through our Services, we may collect or receive the following types of information:
Information You Provide Directly
When you interact with us through our Services, we may collect or receive information about you. For example, you provide information to us when you register for access to our Services, when you express an interest in obtaining information about us or our Services, when you participate in activities on our Website or when you inquire about becoming a contributor. We also collect information from you when you share stories, images, documents, comments or other content or materials to the Services or with other users or recipients of the Services through our Services (collectively, “User Content”).
Generally, you control the amount and type of information you provide to us when using our Services. Some of the information you provide to us is “personal information.” The personal information that we collect from you depends on the context of your interaction with us and our Services, the choices you make when you use our Services and the products and features you use. The personal information we collect or receive may, for example, include the following:
- Email address
- Contact information
- User name, site logins/passwords
• Information from social networking services, as described more fully below in “Integration with Social Networking and Other Platforms.” In addition, if you seek to be a LUCY contributor, we may require you to provide certain information about yourself to us.
Information We Collect Automatically
When you use our Services, we automatically collect certain information about you and your computer, mobile phone, web browser or other device automatically. Automatically collected information may include:
- The browser type of the operating system you use to access our Services.
- Your IP address or mobile device identifier.
- The domain name of your Internet service provider.
- Information about the content you view and the features you access on our Services, including your activity and behavior on our Website.
- Information regarding when you access our Services, including information regarding the duration of your engagement with certain aspects of the Services.
How We Use Information
We may use the information we collect and receive from or about you, or that you provide to us, including any personal information, as follows:
- To operate and provide the Services to you, or to fulfill any other purpose for which you provide us with information.
- To deliver the information, products or services you have requested from us and to permit you to participate in the LUCY community.
- To create and share aggregate statistics and reports regarding User Content, visitors to our Services and users of our Services.
- To deliver and target advertising to you, including personalized advertisements.
- To reach out to you about and promote new information, products or services to you that we believe you may be interested in.
- To create your account and provide for us to provide you notices about your account.
- For our legitimate interests, including to help us improve the Services.
- To help to improve our Services and to deliver a better and more personalized experience, including by enabling us to estimate our audience size and usage patterns, store information about your preferences and recognize you when you use our Services.
- To notify you about changes to our Services.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information, or otherwise with your consent.
- As permitted by law or as we may notify you.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receives from third parties. We may use this automatically collected information to help to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, which may allow us to customize our Services according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website or use our Services.
How We Share Information
We may share the information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- With our affiliates.
- With readers of your User Content. When you submit User Content (as defined above) via our Services or otherwise to us, there could be personal information about you included in that User Content. For example, you may reveal your name, age, location, or other biographical information in the context of sharing your stories or posting a comment. In those cases, you share User Content with us and other users, and whenever we share your User Content, we also share any personal information you have chosen to include within that User Content.
- To respond to your requests or questions.
- With third-party service providers who provide services on our behalf, including companies that provide web analytics, data processing, advertising, email distribution, payment processing and other services.
- With the operators of Third-Party Platforms (as defined below), such as social media networks, that may, to some degree, be integrated with our Services, as explained in more detail in “Social Networking and Other Platforms” below.
- With any successor to all or part of our business. For example, in the event of a merger, acquisition, divestiture, change of control or liquidation of LUCY or part of its business (or in anticipation of such an event) we may share information in connection with that transaction.
- If we think we have to in order to comply with the law or protect ourselves.
- When you otherwise consent or direct us to share your information with third parties.
- For other reasons we may describe to you or as permitted or required by law.
LUCY does not sell your personal information. LUCY may share with third-parties information about you that has been de-identified or aggregated.
We and our third-party service providers will employ certain technologies to store information on or read information about end user’s browsers or devices. Such technologies may include: (i) cookies, (ii) tracking pixels, (iii) web beacons, and (iv) local shared objects. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your hard disk by a web page server. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.
Cookies help us improve our services and marketing information and may improve your experience using our Services. One of the primary purposes of cookies is to provide a convenience feature to save you time. For example, if you personalize LUCY pages, or register with LUCY, a cookie helps us recall your specific information on subsequent visits.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. For more information on how to do this, please visit: allaboutcookies.org. If you choose to disable cookies, you may not be able to fully experience some of the features of our Services.
“Do Not Track” Signals
We may use technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking). Some web browsers may transmit “do not track” signals to the websites and other online services with which the browser communicates. There is no standard that governs what, if anything, websites should do when they receive these signals. LUCY uses its best efforts to honor and respond to “Do Not Track” browser signals and other mechanisms.
Links to Third-Party Websites
Integration with Social Networking and Other Platforms
Our Services may allow you to enable or log in via various online platforms, including social networking services like Facebook or Twitter (“Third-Party Platforms”). Our Services also may also enable you to access these Third-Party Platforms directly or indirectly through our Services. By integrating these Third-Party Platforms, we aim to make your online experiences richer and more personalized. When you add a Third-Party Platform account to our Services or log-in to our Services using your Third-Party Platform account, we may collect relevant information necessary to enable our Services to access that Third-Party Platform and your data contained within that Third-Party Platform. We also may share your information with the operator of that Third-Party Platform to facilitate or enhance delivery of that Third-Party Platform or other services to you.
When you use our Services, you may have the option of posting your activities on our Services and other content to Third-Party Platforms. If you choose to make any of your activities or other content available through a Third-Party Service or you engage in other activities in connection with a Third-Party Service, your friends, followers, and subscribers on those Third-Party Services that you have enabled will be able to view those contributions and activities.
LUCY takes reasonable steps to secure your information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. However, no data transferred over the Internet is guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of your information and you understand that any information that you transfer or transmit to us is done at your own risk.
Our Services are not intended for users under the age of 13, and LUCY does not knowingly collect information from anyone under the age of 13. No one under the age of 13 is permitted to access or use the LUCY service or to provide LUCY with personally identifiable information.